Saturday, March 26, 2011

The BASEDIR environment variable is not defined correctly. This environment variable is needed to run this program

Last Wednesday, I received a new Tecra (Toshiba) with Core i5 as a replacement for my ASUS machine from the company that I work with. Started installing all the softwares to the new machine that I had in my old machine. 
When tried to run tomcat with sh catalina.sh, it gave the following weired error. 
The BASEDIR environment variable is not defined correctly. This environment variable is needed to run this program
For a moment I wondered what needs to be done, and then I came across a few posts and forums that has given the solution to my problem. 
That small tip perfectly worked, so just thought of sharing it with you. You may need this some day. 
In a terminal type the following command which changes the permission of all the .sh directories in the system.
chmod 777 *.sh
This allowed me to run the tomcat server just perfectly. 
Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment